The husband and I are in my hometown at my parents' for Thanksgiving. We broke the news to them the day after we got there. I had a couple moments before finally getting out the words, "We have an announcement!" - moments where the husband would grab my knee and look at me and I'd start giggling. I found it hard to break the barrier we'd set up, where inside it was our little secret, and outside was the world, waiting to know and make the whole thing "real."
So we've told them, they're delighted, and a few other people know now too - close family friends, my sister. I have two remaining siblings to tell on Thanksgiving Day when they call, and my aunt and cousin that will be with us this holiday.
My mother is also amazed at how many more rules there are for us - in her day it was don't smoke, don't drink and take your prenatal vitamins. Now it's no brie, no blue cheese, no smoked salmon or sushi, no cold cuts... I did eat the smoked bluefish salad last night - we were being cooked for by an in-law who is a chef at a fancy restaurant in my parents' town, and I just couldn't say no when that came out. We weren't choosing the food, and of course he didn't know the news yet...I figured it was high quality, and fifteen hours later here I seem to be fine. My father and his friend argued that smoked fish was cooked anyway, so it was ridiculous to worry. I'm not worrying, just trying to obey these little rules "they've" decided I need to follow.
So, the news is out. It feels good to have finally done it... and the husband and I are free to joke about baby names like "Egmont" and "Zenobia" with everyone. The quease continues to flare in and out and I have to keep eating vegetables through the heavy holiday season.... got to keep the pipes flowing smoothly!
So we've told them, they're delighted, and a few other people know now too - close family friends, my sister. I have two remaining siblings to tell on Thanksgiving Day when they call, and my aunt and cousin that will be with us this holiday.
My mother is also amazed at how many more rules there are for us - in her day it was don't smoke, don't drink and take your prenatal vitamins. Now it's no brie, no blue cheese, no smoked salmon or sushi, no cold cuts... I did eat the smoked bluefish salad last night - we were being cooked for by an in-law who is a chef at a fancy restaurant in my parents' town, and I just couldn't say no when that came out. We weren't choosing the food, and of course he didn't know the news yet...I figured it was high quality, and fifteen hours later here I seem to be fine. My father and his friend argued that smoked fish was cooked anyway, so it was ridiculous to worry. I'm not worrying, just trying to obey these little rules "they've" decided I need to follow.
So, the news is out. It feels good to have finally done it... and the husband and I are free to joke about baby names like "Egmont" and "Zenobia" with everyone. The quease continues to flare in and out and I have to keep eating vegetables through the heavy holiday season.... got to keep the pipes flowing smoothly!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home